Leading safety tips for new homeowners in Columbia
If you purchased your first home or you’re preparing to, congratulations! It’s an exciting time for you and your family. You’re probably considering how you might personalize your property with paint, furnishings, and decor. But, before you go all-in on redecorating, make certain you give thought to home security too. Keeping those you care about safeguarded should always be a foremost priority, and we’ll show you how with these safety tips for new homeowners in Columbia.
Complete a safety review of your new Columbia property
Now that you’re considering safety, find out what your new home has in place. First, ensure you have operational smoke detectors. Test every one and switch out batteries if required. Are there CO detectors? Did you find a water sensor in the cellar? This is also a smart time to upgrade door locks and investigate all locking mechanisms on windows. Go through every space and get to know your property.
Smart security tips for your Columbia home
Once you’ve finished your opening investigation of locks and safety alarms, you can think about elevating your protection. Begin with these security tips for your home in Columbia.
- Install a modern home security system. One of the best things a new homeowner in Columbia can do is install a home security system. Modern wireless technology lets you keep tabs on your property even when you’re not there. You are able to view live video footage, operate entry locks, and even speak with guests on your front porch straight from your smartphone. You may custom-tailor your system with incredible security implements such as video surveillance and monitored fire alarms.
- Modernize your exterior lights. Outdoor lights with motion detectors are a great way to discourage prospective intruders. You can even integrate them with video cameras. The activating of a motion sensor can signal your outdoor camera to record.
- Maintain your yard. Do you have an unobstructed view of your property from the interior? Are there oversized bushes and trees blocking the view? Eliminate possible areas to hide by keeping your yard well groomed. Your neighbors will appreciate it also.
- Meet people in your community. Speaking of your neighbors, get to know them. If you are friendly with people nearby, there’s a greater chance they’ll advise you if they discern anything suspicious. You may also get involved in your neighborhood’s social media group if one is established.
- Benefit from home automation. If you opt for an advanced smart home, you can make it look like you’re inside by illuminating smart lights at scheduled moments. This is a great tool when you’re at work or on vacation.